After slicing the cheese in half horizontally, from side to side, and layering on the mushrooms, you reassemble it, wrap the cheese tightly, and put it back in your refrigerator to let the mold form and seal the edges back up. You'll want to make this at least three days before you plant to serve it, and seven days in advance is even better. If you plan to let it sit for seven days, buy a slightly underripe cheese and place it in the coldest section of your refrigerator. If using wild mushrooms, sauté them in butter and let them cool before you slice the cheese. If using truffles, just shave them over the cheese once you've sliced it open. - Sue Conley & Peggy Smith (Co-Founders)
Serves 8 to 10 as an appetizer
1 whole Camembert or Mt Tam cheese (about 8 oz)
1/2 cup Thinly sliced wild mushrooms (such as chanterelles), sautéed in 1 tbsp of butter or shaved white or black truffle (to taste)
Slices of a very good baguette or levain bread, for accompaniment
- Halve the cheese horizontally, from side to side, as if you were slicing a bagel. Pay attention to how you separate the two halves, as you'll want to put them back together so all the edges align again.
- With a knife, scrape a little cheese from the inside of each half to make room for the filling. (Eat those scraping on crackers or bread, if you like.)
- Add the truffle or wild mushrooms directly to the cut side of one half of the cheese. We don't measure the truffle, but just shave it right over the open face of the cheese. If pushed, we'd say about 1 tbsp, but just shave until the surface has a light layer of truffle all the way across.
- Carefully reassemble the cheese, cut-sides facing, matching it up as best as you can. Cover the cheese with plastic wrap, smoothing it down so there's no bit of the cheese exposed to air. Refrigerate for at least 3 days or up to 7 days. On the day you plan to serve it, let it come to room temperature, setting it out about 3 hours beforehand.
- Serve with slices of very good baguettes or levain.
Recreate this decadent combination with our Truffle Tam Home Kit while supplies last!