Would you like some salad with your cheese? This composed salad stars our best-selling Mt Tam, and lots of it! Wedges of everyone's favorite California triple cream are nestled alongside crispy, smoked paprika-dusted potatoes and, when in season, slices of ripe, juicy tomatoes in a leafy bed of baby kale & herbs. Dressed in a zippy lemon dressing, this salad-meets-cheese-plate will be the highlight of any barbecue or picnic.
Note: If you can't find pea sprouts, just substitute some extra baby kale instead.
Recipe by Asha Loupy - @fromheadtotable
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
For the potatoes
1 pound small, waxy potatoes, like Yukon gold or red bliss
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the salad
Zest of 1 lemon (about 2 teaspoons)
Juice of 1 lemon (about 2-3 tablespoons)
1 tablespoons preserved lemon, finely chopped (optional)
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 cups baby kale
1 cup pea sprouts
1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
1 wheel Mt Tam, cut into 12 wedges
1 large heirloom tomato, sliced (optional)
Flaky sea salt, for garnish
- Place the potatoes in a large pot of abundantly salted water and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through and can easily be pierced with a knife, about 18–20 minutes. Drain, place back in the hot pot and let sit for 5 minutes. (This will help all the excess water evaporate from the surface of the potato, making for a crispier crust.)
- While the potatoes are cooking, preheat the oven to 450°F.
- To smash the potatoes, take one potato and place it on a cutting board. Using a heavy-bottomed glass, or the palm of your hand, gently smash the potato so it’s about 1/2-inch thick. Repeat with the remaining potatoes.
- Place the smashed potatoes on a baking sheet, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle evenly with smoked paprika, salt and black pepper. Flip the potatoes around so they are evenly coated in the oil and seasonings. Roast, flipping halfway through, until deep golden and crispy, about 35–40 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for 15 minutes.
- While the smashed potatoes are cooling, make the dressing. Combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, preserved lemon, if using, and salt in a mason jar, cover and shake to combine. Add the extra virgin olive oil, cover again and shake vigorously until the dressing is emulsified. Taste and adjust seasonings, as necessary (if you aren’t using the preserved lemons, you might need a little extra salt).
- In a large bowl, toss the kale, pea sprouts and parsley together. Add half the dressing and toss to coat the greens. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To assemble, arrange the dressed salad on a large platter. Nestle in wedges of Mt Tam, followed by the sliced tomatoes and crispy potatoes. Spoon some extra dressing over the top and sprinkle a little flaky salt over the tomatoes and potatoes. Enjoy immediately.
You can find our Mt Tam at a store near you with our Store Locator, or ask your neighborhood cheesemonger to find you a wheel! If you live in the Bay Area, our Creamery Barn & Cantina in Point Reyes Station is open Thursday - Monday, 11 am - 4 pm.