Makes 4 grilled cheese sandwiches
1 cup/8 fl oz Bloody Mary Mix
8 slices of pullman loaf or pain de mie, cut ~1/2 inch thick
2-4 tablespoons Bloody Mary Rimming Spice (optional)
12 oz Wagon Wheel (or your favorite melting cheese), grated
5.3 oz Fromage Blanc
4 Habanero Horseradish Dill Pickles
2 sprigs of fresh dill, coarsely chopped
oil or butter to season cooking surface
- To make the savory french toast: add all of Bloody Mary Mix and eggs in a shallow bowl (wide enough to dip a piece of bread) and whisk until eggs are beaten and mixture is uniform.
- Using a gloved hand or tongs, dunk one piece of bread at a time into egg mixture, flipping to coat both sides and letting excess drip off before setting aside to cook. If using, lightly press the slices into the Bloody Mary Rimming Spice or sprinkle to coat.
- Heat a flat griddle or cast-iron skillet over medium heat and add oil or butter to coat. Working in batches, cook savory french toast slices on both sides until just golden and crispy on both sides, about 3-4 minutes total. Set cooked french toast aside.
- In a small bowl, mix all of Fromage Blanc and chopped dill until combined. Coarsely chop the Habanero Horseradish Pickles and set aside.
- To assemble grilled cheese: spread 1 tablespoon of herbed Fromage Blanc on one side of each slice of french toast. Divide the grated Wagon Wheel across 4 of the 8 slices atop the Fromage Blanc, doing the same with chopped pickles atop the Wagon Wheel. Sandwich the two halves together (Fromage Blanc side in), yielding 4 in total.
- Preheat your griddle or skillet (again) over medium heat and add ample oil or butter to coat. Cook each grilled cheese 2-3 minutes on each side, covering to ensure cheese is melted through.
For a proper pairing, serve with The Real Dill Bloody Mary and your favorite garnish.