The combination of black truffle and Mt Tam is a luxurious and indulgent take on a classic grilled cheese. It is a celebration of mushrooms. Mt Tam carries flavor notes of white button mushroom which meld nicely with the earthy and aromatic black truffle. The addition of sautéed mushrooms further highlights the flavor and adds texture. A light touch of Gruyère helps bind everything together and rounds out the rich, savory flavors of the grilled cheese. It is a super satisfying sandwich. The Mt Tam makes it super gooey. It’s a special grilled cheese since we offer it seasonally. At the Cheese Shop, a lot of guests look forward to our Truffle Tam (Mt Tam layered with Black Truffle). This grilled cheese is a way that Sidekick extends that lovely combination to its guests. It’s great seeing peoples’ eyes light up when they see it on the menu.
- Jeremy Suizo, Ferry Building General Manager
Makes 2 sandwiches
4 oz Fromage Blanc
1/2 cup brown button mushrooms (sliced)
1 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon black truffle pâté
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 slices of Mt Tam (about 2 oz or 1/4 wheel)
2 oz Gruyère, shredded
4 slices sourdough bread
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter, and cook mushrooms with salt and pepper until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine the mushrooms, black truffle pâté, and dried thyme with the Fromage Blanc. Mix until evenly distributed and season to taste.
- Preheat pan or griddle to medium-low heat and assemble grilled cheese:
- Butter one side of each of the bread slices.
- Spread the Fromage Blanc mixture onto the unbuttered side of two of the slices (of 4).
- Add 1 oz slice of Mt Tam and 1 oz shredded Gruyère, and sandwich bread slices, keeping buttered side out.
- Cook sandwiches until golden brown and crusty, about 5 minutes on each side, or until cheese melts through.
You can find all the ingredients for this decadent grilled cheese in the San Francisco Ferry Building! With fresh mushrooms and truffle pâté from Far West Fungi, sourdough from Acme Bread, and everything else from our Cheese Shop. Don't want to make your own? Our Sidekick Café will have our Truffle Grilled Cheese on special for the month of February, beginning next week (February 8th), and our limited Truffle Tam for Valentine's.