WAGON WHEEL KALE CAESAR
Enjoy this Cowgirl Creamery take on the Kale Caesar featuring our Wagon Wheel with toasted olive oil panko breadcrumbs and chili flakes.
Makes about 4 servings
*we love using an immersion blender for this dressing recipe but you can hand whisk or use a blender*
5 anchovy fillets, drained *optional*
2 small garlic cloves
2 large egg yolks, room temp
1/3 cup freshly-grated Wagon Wheel (we use a microplane)
Juice of one lemon
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Pinch of salt and grind of pepper
1/4 cup neutral oil (avocado)
1/4 cup olive oil
For the Salad
2 bunches Cavalo Nero (also known as Tuscan, Italian, or dino) kale, picked from the stem into bite size pieces
*curly green kale will work as a substitute if you can't find the Tuscan variety*
1.5 cups panko bread crumbs
2 Tbs olive oil
1 cup finely grated Wagon Wheel cheese (we encourage more or less cheese, depending on what you like!)
1 tsp chili flakes
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- For the dressing: Blend all ingredients aside from the oils in a tall jar, once incorporated, slowly pour the oil into the jar with the blender running. Et voila!
- Put picked kale into large bowl and massage until the kale is tender to the bite.
- Toast panko bread crumbs in a skillet with olive oil on medium-low heat until brown and crunchy.
- Toss kale with Casear dressing and plate the salad for your desired number of servings.
- Top with grated Wagon Wheel, toasted bread crumbs, chili flakes and salt & pepper to taste. Enjoy!